Wednesday, January 8, 2014

:future archaeology:


As stated last week, one of last year's goals was met, I finished (save for only a few days) a sketch-a-day book, and I've gone back through it a bit. One of the possible for goals for the new year is to create at least one new completed piece per month, which is a goal I've meant to do before, but a lot of crisis' in the past few years put a wrench in that. so of course I am hopeful that there will be less of that in the new year. Don't we all hope that? And I think I may have a fair amount of source material in here to start off the year.


I think in the beginning I was trying for too much detail or trying too hard to be clever instead of just letting whatever came out of my mind first take control. Very little of it made sense, I usually closed the book right after drawing. Revisiting it now brought out many WTF moments.


But I never was much of one for normal subject matter. Perhaps this has held me back in some ways, particularly being employed for my art, but why draw boring art?



Sometimes when I got stuck or if it was nearing the end of the night and I still hadn't drawn something, I would copy something else, but I tried not to make an exact copy, either just drawing the shadows or using as few lines as possible.


Yes, women with yards of hair seemingly with a mind of its own seemed to be a reoccurring theme.


After doing this for nearly every day for a year I've been on a bit of a break, but I have to admit it feels odd not to be doing it, so I don't think it'll be long before I return to it, which is good, as it's a habit I wanted to return to and it was sad that it had disappeared to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment