Monday, July 25, 2011

:sheggoth:

I finished this last week! It will be on display and for sale in the the show "From Beyond," an art show inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft, at Fool's Mansion, 127 Essex St, Salem MA 01970. The opening is this Saturday night at 8 PM, and trust me when I say that their art openings are like no other that I've attended.


I pretty much stuck to the final sketch. I tried drawing large tentacled beasties, but none of it was working for me, so I tried for the terror within.


The original plan was to create it with Corel Painter, but it was acting dodgy. A victim of my finally upgrading to OS X Snow Leopard? I won't be upgrading to Lion anytime soon. To their credit, Corel customer support quickly supplied fixes, but I had wasted enough time as it is, so I went back to pencils.





















I had meant to leave the top part of her face out, as I think the focal point of this piece is pretty obvious, but after I bought a frame, I found a lot of leftover space, so I added the rest of her face. There's at least three references I used for that, but mostly from my puny mind.


Then I got to work on the tentacles, which was really fun for some reason, probably because they weren't based too much on reality and so I couldn't screw them up too much. After they were done, I had to go over the rest with darker pencils so that the tentacles didn't stand out THAT much.

I'm really happy with how this turned out. I wish I had more hours in the day for this. Oh for a pile of money or a rent-free living situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment