Wednesday, May 7, 2014

:destination:

I finished the most recent monthly art project, a few days late, but I'm still going to count it as April's. Once again, I was aiming for a pin-up feeling similar to the work of Gil Elvgren, so even though it was based on a photo, I tried to make it look a little painterly, and certainly with brighter colors than I usually use. Believe it or not I agonized over that background color choice for hours.


Okay, I cheated a little bit and kept the chair and some jewelry from the original photo, my drawing abilities weren't up to that task by the end of the month, or maybe I was just impatient to finish. As per usual I could've kept working on it but like most of my artwork I have to know when to stop. And you know what? I realize now that it might've been easier to just erase the background from the original photo, but I wanted to test myself, plus get more used to drawing on a tablet. I still feel that I'd do better with a desk arm for it, still on a quest for that.

And while I still want one of my goals for this year to be having a completed work for each month, sadly I must scale back for a bit, for I have the burning need to escape my current day job for something better, and before July for reasons I won't go into here, so I must make my job search a priority now. I still would love one that utilizes my creative talents, but I haven't found one yet (or at least one that'll hire me) so far in this life. I've been working on getting into the video game industry, and making some inroads, but it's been a slow process so far for one who doesn't have experience yet, and as I said, tick tock, so I'm looking for an interim job while I pursue that further. I've been thinking that if I can't get a job making art, maybe I can at least be around it, so I'm going to look into museums and galleries.

I'm still going to write this weekly, not sure what about yet, but I don't plan to give up art in the meantime, not when I've fought so hard to regain it, just probably no big projects for the next few months. I may return to Dr. Sketchy's this weekend. I may look into my past again.

No comments:

Post a Comment