Wednesday, March 6, 2013

:for sale or rent:

The aftermath of the RAW show...it was interesting experience to say the least...if not a profitable one. I was hoping to make at least the cost of the unsold tickets, but it was not to be. So was it worth it? Well, it helped me to talk to people more about my artwork, at least those who weren't afraid to approach that is ( if you saw the setup at the club you'd understand - it's like we were on small stages and maybe they weren't sure if they could step on them. I had to keep saying COME CLOSER ), and when the music wasn't too loud. I've done showings in nightclubs before, generally people aren't out to spend money on art in such places, even though things are more convenient with devices like the Square with which you can charge for things through your smartphone. Sadly, I didn't get it to break it in.



I gave plenty of business cards out as usual, so you never know where that may lead, and the Homunculi dolls were a hit too. And the artist statement I labored over for so long actually helped one patron understand my artwork more, or so he said. Still didn't buy anything, though.

But one issue I had ( and have had in the past ) was people taking pictures of the artwork with their phones. If it was a occasional occurrence that'd be one thing, but some people were taking pictures of everything. Some of the artists shrugged it off, but my way of thinking was, well if they take pictures of the artwork, there's no reason why they'd buy it. And then the starving artist cliche moves into the 21st Century.

2 comments:

  1. As an artist, are you a little worrisome as well that the pictures were to perhaps... borrow from your imagination? I'm surprised that local art shows don't ask folks to not take pictures... phone, camera, pen cam...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameras are part of almost everything now, it's so difficult to police it. That was one of my jobs at Cirque du Soleil, I imagine it must be ten times worse now.

      Delete