Wednesday, July 30, 2014

:time capsule:

Continuing the archaeological dig that is my life, I came across a folder marked "works in progress," that will need further examination, but a quick glance through it unearthed a lot of source material for an art piece about 9-11 ( that probably wouldn't have the same impact now than if I had done it closer to that date - oh well ), evidence that I've been planning my next tattoo for quite some time, and these little paintings from 2000:



As near as I can tell, these were done to test out different brands of acrylic paints, to see which one I'd prefer. Painting was never my favorite medium, I could not get the control out of it that I could in other ones. Especially not oils. I often said that the first thing that I learned in art school was that I hated oil painting. And I think the oil paintings that I did only recently dried.

One reason for this digging, other than the hope of finally being free from clutter, is an attempt at inventory. This past weekend some friends of mine were the victims of a fire. They are fine, but they've lost damn near everything they owned. ( money is being raised for them here )This sort of thing terrifies me. I do have renter's insurance, but have yet to make a list for it, so this is showing me that it's long overdue. However, they expect you to know when you bought things and the price you paid for them. Who keeps tracks of such things?? Overwhelming.

As you might imagine, in my case the biggest loss would be my artwork. Totally irreplaceable. I don't want to become paranoid, but I wonder if I should store such things elsewhere. I often see storage facilities and think, that's a sure sign you own too much stuff if you need storage outside of where you live. But now I'm pondering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment