Thursday, July 24, 2014

:relapse:

A week filled with other stuff that kept me away from working on art, so other than the usual random photos, nothing to show the class this week. So I will re-post my artwork from this recent April, partially because I think hardly anybody saw it. Especially on Facebook, because of whatever algorithms they use now, or maybe because I posted it near my birthday and it got buried under the greetings posted ( the cynic in me doubts that most people would remember my birthday without Facebook. I still write people's birthdays down in a paper calendar. ).


Another reason to re-post it is I think it's the best non-photographic work I've made this year, and naturally I want as many people as possible to see it. Some feedback would be nice as well. Again, the main person I need to satisfy with my art is myself, but I'm not creating it just to hide it away. 

It was done entirely in Photoshop with a Wacom tablet, so it was also a test to see if I could get better at it. I believe I did. Now to get faster!

Having so much opportunity to show one's work online is both a blessing and a curse these days. The ease of it and of course the possibility to reach many people is a good thing. However the sheer number of others doing this as well makes it difficult to get anything seen as much as one would like. And also piracy. The only safe way to not get images stolen is to never post them. Sadly that's not a real solution.

One reason I haven't made a Facebook page for my artwork, and I'm doubtful that I will, is that the current state of such specialty pages does not reach the number of people that it once did, and even buying ads or posts do not up the viewings significantly. Such a sad thing. It seemed like it started out as something the users had a lot of control over, but more and more it's being taken out of our hands. It does not feel like a community anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment